Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Argument Writing


Recently, I began argument writing with the middle school students that I work with and have started opinion writing with my elementary students.

Above is an example of the poster that I developed for our lessons.  My first goal was to make sure that students know the parts of an argumentative essay.  


As I presented the poster, the students helped to generate ideas about how each part of an argumentative essay should be presented.  We spent some time talking about writing good evidence.  This is a great distinction.  Providing evidence is not enough. It is important to provide really good evidence that can make the claim of the essay convincing.  The text support should also be able to stand up against the counterclaim.

Stop back by to look at examples as we progress through these lessons.





No comments:

Post a Comment